Five First Saturday Devotions
As an Act of Reparation
The Five First Saturday Devotions are an Act of Reparation to Our Lady for blasphemies and offenses committed against her. This devotion was requested of Sr Lucy, one of the seers at Fatima.
The 5 First Saturdays request comes with certain requirements to be fulfilled but also are full of heavenly promises.
A Request Straight from Our Lady
"My daughter, look at My Heart surrounded with thorns with which ungrateful men pierce it at every moment by their blasphemies and ingratitude. You, at least, try to console me, and say that I promise to assist at the hour of death, with all the graces necessary for salvation, all those who, on the first Saturday of five consecutive months go to confession and receive Holy Communion, recite five decades of the Rosary and keep me company for a quarter of an hour while meditating on the mysteries of the Rosary, with the intention of making reparation to me." Our Lady to Sr Lucy, Dec. 10, 1925
Why the Five First Saturday Devotions?
The Child Jesus appeared again to Sr Lucy in February of 1926 asking her to spread this devotion to Our Lady and again in May of 1930 she had an interior locution (which means she didn't see Him or even hear Him, but understood, or knew what He wanted to make known to her) making known to her why it is necessary to make a Communion of Reparation on 5 consecutive Saturdays.
Sr Lucy understood that the five Saturdays were tied to the five main blasphemies and offenses against the Immaculate Heart of Mary.
- Attacks upon the reality of Mary's Immaculate Conception
- Attacks against the reality of Mary's Perpetual Virginity
- Attacks upon Mary's Divine Maternity and the refusal to accept her as the Mother of all mankind
- Those who try to publicly implant in the hearts of children indifference, contempt and hatred for the Immaculate Heart of Mary
- For the direct insults and outrages committed against Mary in her sacred images.
What is Required to Make the Five First Saturday Devotions?
- Confession ~ Eight days before or after, made with the intention to make reparation to Our Lady's Sacred Heart. Sr Lucy asks Our Lord if someone forgets or cannot make confession the day of or 8 days before or after, He replies: "Yes, it can even be made later on, provided that the souls are in the state of grace when they receive Me on the First Saturday and that they had the intention of making reparation to the Sacred Heart of Mary". And he replies to her inquiry about the intention being forgotten to be made: "They can form it at the next confession, taking advantage of their first opportunity to go to confession."
- Holy Communion ~ On the First Saturday. What if Mass isn't said or one is unable to go for some reason? Our Lord replies: "This practice of this devotion will be equally acceptable on the Sunday following the First Saturday when My Priests, for a just cause, allow it to souls." If Communion is transferred to the following Sunday, it is permitted that all the other requirements ie: Rosary and Meditation be performed on Sunday too. NB:It is up to your priest to decide or give permission...not each on his own...
- Recitation of the Rosary ~ The Rosary (5 consecutive decades) offered with the intention of Reparation to Our Lady's Immaculate Heart may be said at any time, but it is ideal to say it before the Blessed Sacrament either just before or just after Mass since you will be there anyway. (Meditation on the Mysteries of the Rosary while reciting it are a core requirement to praying the Rosary and is in addition to the required 15 minute meditation.)
- Fifteen Minutes of Meditation ~ At the request of Our Lady: "Keep me company for fifteen minutes while meditating on the mysteries of the Rosary." An additional 15 minutes is required (again, making the intention of reparation) and is clear in Sr Lucy's own words and of the Bishop of Fatima's words: "This is in addition to the recitation of the Rosary. It requires, in Lucy's own words to keep Our Lady company for fifteen minutes while meditating on the mysteries of the Rosary. It is not required to meditate on all fifteen mysteries. To meditate on one or two is sufficient."
- The General Intention of Making Reparation ~ Without the general intention, to make reparation, all the external practices and all your efforts are for naught.
What Does Our Lady Promise to Those Who Complete the Five First Saturday Devotions?
- Salvation of Our Own Soul ~ "To all those who, on the First Saturday of five consecutive months... fulfill all the conditions requested, I promise to assist them at the hour of death with all the graces necessary for the salvation of their soul." This devotion, practiced devoutly, is enough to procure infallibly for us the grace of final perseverance, of eternal salvation! And this promise is without any exclusion, limitation, restriction. "To all who...I promise."
- The Salvation of Sinners ~ "So numerous are the souls which the justice of God condemns for sins committed against me that I come to ask for reparation. Sacrifice yourself for this intention and pray" Our Lady to Sr Lucy
- Peace in the World ~ "Whether the world has war or peace depends on the practice of this devotion, along with the consecration of Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. This is why I desire its propagation so ardently, especially because this is also the will of our dear Mother in Heaven" Sr Lucy
Sr Lucy wrote in May 1930 in respect to the Five First Saturday Devotions: In consideration of this little devotion, They (Jesus and Mary) wish to give the grace of pardon to souls who have had the misfortune of offending the Immaculate Heart of Mary.
How to Pray the Rosary
Visit Our Hompage from The Five First Saturday Devotions